5 reasons why packaging-free merchandising is growing in popularityFrom speciality stores to grocery chains, the trend towards packaging-free merchandising – displaying and dispensing loose product in solutions such as bulk bins – has gained popularity across multiple markets and categories.
Why retailers and brands should consider packaging-free product display
In order to stay ahead in today’s challenging retail environment, more and more grocery retailers choose to display and dispense products such as nuts, grains, candy and cereals in solutions for packaging-free merchandising.
And with good reasons:
- Packaging-free merchandising helps to reduce packaging waste. With sustainability top of mind for many, this can positively differentiate one store from another in the eyes of the shopper.
- Packaging-free merchandising addresses the emerging consumer trend of personalisation. Research shows that 57% of shoppers expect products to be customised to fit their needs. Merchandising products in bulk allows shoppers full control to choose their personal product mix and quantity.
- Packaging-free merchandising can be used to highlight organic alternatives. Organic food sales have grown rapidly since 2010. Displaying organic products loosely creates a more authentic display and differentiates them from the balance of the assortment.
- Packaging-free merchandising drives value perception. According to research, shoppers perceive loose products often to be more affordable than packaged alternatives, but even premium product ranges can be merchandised loosely. No matter which price points shoppers choose, controlling their own products mix allows them to purchase products fitting their budget.
- Packaging-free merchandising improves the shopping experience. Not only do shoppers enjoy the aspect of an engaging experience, research shows that shoppers who interact with a product are more likely to purchase it.
Kantar Global Monitor 2019. FiBL-AMI Surveys 2010-2018, OrganicDataNetwork Surverys 2013-2015. Kantar Loose Products Booklet, 2019.
Download the Kantar report
To learn key trends and opportunities in today’s competitive retail market, read the full report by Kantar Consulting.
*All fields are mandatory
Thanks for your information. Please download the file.